Welcome to B-Town!

Welcome to B-Town!

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Group Fitness Makes ‘Losers’ out of Burlingtonites

Burlington was voted the ‘Healthiest City in America’ by the CDC last year, due to the enormous amount of recreational activities available here. Not only is the Queen City home to over a half-dozen yoga studios and gyms, but boasts of a 13.1 mile long bike path which features scenic views of the Adirondacks and Lake Champlain. However, Burlington is also home to Bite Me Pizza, Mr. Mike’s Pizza, Junior’s Pizzeria, Leonardo’s Pizza, Domino’s Pizza, and more than a dozen local restaurants and eateries. Magic Hat Brewing and Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream both hail from Vermont, as well. With all these high-fat, high-calorie options to tempt and tantalize the palate, it’s no wonder why Burlington is also home to 38-yes, THIRTY-EIGHT- Weight Watcher’s meetings. Most kids get a camera or computer for Christmas; after gaining the horrid freshman THIRTY, my mother decided to give me 3 months of Weight Watchers for Christmas.
Studies suggest that dieters who attend meeting lose 78% more weight that those who brave the trenches alone. With the recent additions of the Weight Watchers at Work program here at Champlain College, as well as the Biggest Loser-esque, Champlain Loses It! Program, it seems everyone is hoping on the group weight loss train. This year has seen many fitness and health improvements in this little Vermont campus- the addition of a college running team, more healthy options in the infamous cafeteria, and the two programs stated above. The Assistant Director of the Student Life Center, Lina Balcom, is a supporter of the Weight Watchers program. After losing 60 lbs. and keeping it off through the program, Balcom became a Weight Watchers leader and started the program at Champlain. So far, the Weight Watchers at Work program at Champlain has seen enormous success. The group meets every Thursday at 12pm to weigh-in and discuss the trials and errors of the precious week. “It really builds a bond, that lasts longer than the 30 minute meeting time,” Lina says. “Weighing yourself in front of another person is so personal. Sharing that with 20 other people is really a wakeup call; I need to do this for myself.” Personally, I seek out Lina for advice whenever I am having a rough week on the program, and she is always filled with words of wisdom.
“If you gain weight this week, what’s the worst that can happen?” This question was posed to me after a particularly rough week of eating. “I’ll tell you what- you keep with the plan, stick it out, and do your best this week. That’s all you can do!” Lina’s inspiring words helped me see for myself why group fitness may be the key to developing a bikini-ready body. Chelsy Pillsbury, a sophomore student from Brattleboro, Vermont, agrees that group fitness helps keep team morale up. “If I know that one of my teammates is going to the gym that motivates me to get my butt in gear. Also, I love how there is Champlain Loses It approved food in the cafeteria now; it really helps to see the little logo when I’m making my meal choices.” While Pillsbury joined the program to gain 10 lbs. of muscle, her team enjoyed the sweet success of losing 12lbs. at the last team weigh-in. “We really didn’t expect it, but it definitely helped motivate us to keep working hard this week!”
I attended my own weigh-in last night at a Weight Watchers location in Williston, VT. I attend these meetings because the Weight Watchers at Work program at Champlain interferes with my class schedule. Last night, a woman in my group called Lara experienced a 5lb. gain. “I was so upset about my gain- I worked hard all week, I sweated for the first time in years, and I ate everything I was supposed to eat. I was ready to throw in the towel, until I talked to my fellow group members. Being a part of Weight Watchers is like being a part of a team- giving up on yourself is the same as giving up on your team. Now, I have a new, motivated attitude for next week, and I know that if I keep my chin up, I will see the results I want to see.” Lara, a smiling blond woman with dimples, says that another reason she enjoys group fitness is the camaraderie feels with her fellow ‘losers’. “When one of us loses, we all win. And that’s really the best feeling. It feels great to hear a team member say she’s lost 3lbs. that week- it makes me want to be that girl next week!”
The Champlain College Running club is another group responsible for getting people moving in the Queen City. Bret Dewhurst is the staff advisor for the running club and helps lead the team every day, Monday through Friday, at 5:15 through the city streets of Burlington. “It’s a great feeling, sometimes called the runner’s high. Champlain doesn’t have sports, and a lot of new students really miss that bond that comes from being part of a team. That was something I definitely thought about when becoming a part of the club, and that togetherness is something I feel we’re creating each and every time we run.” The running club is not limited to students, either. Any member of the Champlain community, staff, faculty, alumni, undergrads, or the like, can be a part of this team. It doesn’t matter if you’re a novice or a marathon runner; the running club embraces all types. “You really just have to have a love for the sport and a desire to be a part of a team,” Bret says. The running club participates in races and daily runs around the Burlington area. So far, the team has 22 members and counting, and all members of the team post their daily runs online at www.dailymile.com.
Group Fitness is sweeping not only the Vermont community, but the nation as well. Programs like the Zone diet, L.A Weight Loss, Jenny Craig, and Weight Watchers all claim that participating in meetings weekly can propel weight loss. Champlain Loses Its top two teams have lost 14lbs. and 12lbs. respectively since the program began. The Champlain College Running Club is growing at a rapid pace, with only Father Winter slowing them down. Many of the members of the team have begun training for 5ks and marathons, while others are just happy to get their stride established. Weight Watchers at Work, Champlain’s own chapter, is experiencing the camaraderie that comes with weekly meetings, and its members are already feeling the burn- of weight loss, that is, with a total group weight loss of 34 lbs. As for me, I’ve lost 7lbs. on my 8 weeks of Weight Watchers, and my mom has lost 29.6lbs. My mom is proud of me for losing weight, and says she will get me that camera for my birthday.


Amanda Mahony

No comments:

Post a Comment